Terry Duguid
Terry Duguid
Member of Parliament for Winnipeg South

As the elected Member of Parliament for Winnipeg South, my staff and I are available to assist you with federal programs, benefits and services. Below, you will find many useful links to commonly asked questions. Please contact our constituency office at 1-204-984-6787 or e-mail us at [email protected] if you need information or assistance in any of these areas:



How do I find information about immigrating to Canada?

There are a number of different programs that allow you to immigrate to Canada permanently. To learn more about these programs and eligibility requirements, follow this link: Immigrating to Canada

How do I apply for Citizenship?

To apply for Canadian citizenship, visit the following link: Citizenship

How do I apply for a temporary resident permit?

To learn about how you can extend your stay in Canada as a visitor, visit the following link: Temporary Resident Visa.

How do I obtain a student permit or working permit?

To learn about obtaining a student visa, visit the following link: Studying in Canada
To learn about obtaining a work visa, visit the following link: Work Permits

How do I become a Canadian permanent resident?

To learn more about applying for permanent residency in Canada, visit: Permanent Residency

Do my friends and relatives require a visa to visit me in Canada?

To learn more about visitor visas, follow this link: Visitor Visa



Where can I find information and services that are relevant to seniors and people over 55?

To view information on services, key projects and issues related to seniors, visit the Seniors Forum, which provides a wide array of tools, benefit finders and more. The Seniors Forum can be accessed, here.

What is the Canada Pension Plan?

The Canada Pension Plan (CPP) is a monthly, taxable benefit that replaces part of your income after you retire. To qualify for the CPP, you must be at least 60 years old and have made at least one valid contribution to the CPP (a valid contribution can be either from work you did in Canada, or as the result of receiving credits from a former spouse or common-law partner at the end of the relationship.

To learn more about the CPP, visit: Canada Pension Plan Overview

What is Old Age Security (OAS)?

The Old Age Security (OAS) pension is a monthly payment available to most people 65 years of age and older who meet the Canadian legal status and residence requirements. For further details, visit: Old Age Security

What is the Guaranteed Income Supplement and am I eligible to receive it?

The Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) provides a monthly non-taxable benefit to Old Age Security (OAS) recipients who have a low income and are living in Canada. To learn more, visit: Guaranteed Income Supplement

I am a veteran. What services and programs are available to me?

There is a wide variety of services for Veterans and their families—programs to assist you after an injury, during the transition from military to civilian life, and many other services to help you and your family throughout your life. To learn more visit: Veteran’s Affairs Canada


Can I file my taxes on-line?

The Canada Customs and Revenue Agency offers electronic services to individuals and to businesses.

What is the child tax benefit? Am I eligible to receive it?

The Canada Child Tax Benefit is a tax-free monthly payment made to eligible families to help them with the cost of raising children under age 18. To learn more, visit: Child Tax Benefit

Where can I find information on the Canada Pension Plan Disability benefit?

The disability benefit is a taxable monthly payment that is available to people who have contributed to the CPP and who are not able to work regularly at any job because of a disability. To learn more visit: Disability Benefit


What student loan programs are available to me?

Financial assistance, loans and grants are available to post-secondary students through both the provincial and federal government.

Further information on Manitoba Student Aid is available, here. Manitoba Student Aid can be reached at 204-945-6321 or toll free at 1-800-204-1685. Representatives are available to assist you Monday to Friday between 8:30 am to 4:30 pm CST.

Further information on Government of Canada student loans, visit the National Student Loans Service Centre, here. The National Student Loans Service Centre can be reached at 1-888-815-4514. Representatives are available to assist you Monday to Friday between 8:00 am to 7:00 pm CST.

Where can I find information on Canadian universities?

Everything you’ve ever wanted to know about Canadian Universities. Information about facilities, services and academic programs as well as links, expert information and statistics – it’s all here.

How do I apply for Employment Insurance (EI)?

Apply on-line or contact the EI section of Service Canada at 1-833-966-2099.  

How do I find a job?

View the Government of Canada Jobs, Workers, Training & Careers web page.

How do I obtain a Social Insurance Number (SIN)?

The Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a nine-digit number used in the administration of various Canadian government programs. You will require a SIN to work in Canada or to receive government benefits.


Where can I find information about the Government of Canada?

Phone 1-800-O-Canada (1-800-622-6232) or visit canada.ca

Where can I obtain information about the Prime Minister? How do I contact the Prime Minister?

You can find information on the Prime Minister and the Cabinet Members by visiting www.pm.gc.ca.

How do I find out who my federal Member of Parliament is? 

To determine who your Member of Parliament is, simply enter your postal code into the finder at the following link: Find Members of Parliament 

How do I find out who my provincial Member of Legislative Assembly (MLA) is?

If you do not know who your MLA is, you can use the search tool here: https://www.electionsmanitoba.ca/en/Voting/MyVotingInfo.

The contact information of all Manitoba MLA’s can be found, here.

How do I find out who my City Councillor is?

Those living in Winnipeg South will have the following city councillor, based on the community they reside in:

Councillor Janice Lukes – Waverly West Ward
Contact Councillor Lukes at 204-986-6824 or [email protected]

Councillor Brian Mayes – St. Vital Ward
Contact Councillor Mayes at 204-986-5088 or [email protected]

Councillor Markus Chambers – St. Norbert – Seine River
Contact Councillor Chambers at 204-986-5920 or [email protected]

If you do not know who your City Councillor is, visit the link here: Winnipeg City Council

How do I apply for a Passport?

If you are planning a trip abroad or even to the United States, it is extremely important to have a Canadian passport as proof of citizenship and residency in Canada. For information on how to obtain a passport, please visit one of the regional passport offices or apply for a passport.

Note: Urgent or express services are available for emergency or compassionate reasons on a case-by-case basis. These services are available only for those applicants who can apply in person at a regional office and who provide proof to justify the urgency.

How can I plan to visit some of Canada’s National Parks and Historic Sites?

Parks Canada can assist you in planning a visit to Canada’s National Parks and National Historic Sites.

Click here for additional Frequently Asked Questions offered on the Government of Canada website.

Main office - Winnipeg
2855 Pembina Highway Suite 80
Winnipeg, Manitoba
R3T 2H5


Show Map

Hill Office
House of Commons
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0A6


Show Map